Do you ever wondering how easy it is to root Android running on your Viewsonic gTablet? By rooting your Android 2.2 (Froyo) you can then flash custom recovery followed by custom ROM even the leaked new one Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). The Viewsonic gTablet is a great Android tablet with its NVidia Tegra 2 dual-core CPU, an expansive 10.1 inch touchscreen display and a 3650 mAh battery to last longer than some other tablets. What’s sad though is the device comes with Android 2.2 Froyo.
This guide below will show you how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on the Viewsonic gTablet.
1. Make sure that your device is fully charged or at least up to 75% before you begin.
2. Back up everything you feel is important before you start with this procedure.
3. The Viewsonic gTablet is known to have two bootloader versions – 1.1 and 1.2.
Make sure you choose the right zip file in the next section as choosing the incorrect one can brick your device. To know what version you have on your device running stock OS, go to Menu > Settings > About Tablet > Tap UI Version; the firmware version should either start with 1.1 or 1.2 and this will be the zip file you will be downloading.
4. This guide will assume that you have the 1.2 bootloader and will be using the relevant files for this version; if you are on 1.1, follow the same procedure but substitute the necessary files to avoid bricking your device.
5. You don’t need to be rooted to install ClockworkMod Recovery on the gTablet. If you do need root access, flashing a custom ROM with root built in is the way to go.
How To Root
0. Download necessary files first:
1. Extract CWM3028.1.2internal.zip to a folder on your desktop.
This folder should contain a zip file named update.zip and a folder called recovery.
2. Connect your device to your PC and copy both the recovery folder and update.zip to the root of your internal SD card (not into any folders).
3. Disconnect and turn off your device.
4. Press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons until you see “Recovery key detected” flash on the screen.
5. The update.zip file will now start flashing automatically, installing ClockworkMod Recovery on your device, and reboot.
That’s all. You can now then proceed to install any custom ROMs you want. Just make sure the ROM you choose is compatible with your gTab.