13 Steps to Install Android OS on Samsung Omnia i8000 – Once again a cool hack job is done successfully to port Google Android 2.1 OS to Samsung Omnia i8000 which natively runs Windows Mobile OS (WinMo OS). Having Android OS replacing Windows Mobile is cool since WinMo is an out-dated version than Windows Phone 7. However, once your Samsung Omnia i8000 runs Android 2.1 Eclair, you’ll find some of Eclair’s features are working and some parts are not working.
Some of Android 2.1 that works on Samsung Omniai8000 are: Call Making / Receiving, Wi-Fi Connects, GPS, Android Market and Apps installation / downloads, and FM radio.
While these parts won’t work: Bluetooth Connectivity, GPRS, Sensors etc.
How to Port/Install Android on Samsung Omnia i8000
1. Backup the files on your microSD first.
2. Go to Start >> Settings >> Memory Settings >> Storage Card and click Format.
3. Download any one of the files provided on http://o2droid.phj.hu/index_en.php file section
(you can download either 512 partition image or 1GB partition image)
4. Extract the files and put it in My Storage.
(Note: Copy only “o2Beta” folder and default.txt, ext2.tar, haret.exe, log.txt, and zImage to the root of my Storage) Look at attachments.
5. Open “o2Beta” Folder and run haret.exe
6. Wait for it to load and until it say something like reboot, the device will auto reboot so just leave it there.
7. It will boot up Windows Mobile again.
8. Then go to My Storage and click on haret.exe
9. This time it will boot again and after awhile you will see Android logo on the bootscreen.
10. After the Android 2.1 was booted, hold on the “Lock” button for 3-4 sec and turn off the device. (It will boot up Windows Mobile again, or sometimes you will have to do it manually to turn on the device)
10. Now download and copy this file to root of My Storage and overwrite it.
o2bupdate.tar.gz and http://126.96.36.199/zImage
11. Then run the haret.exe from My Storage (not inside o2Beta folder).
12. This time it will bootup faster than the first time.
13. Finally, the Android 2.1 Eclair will run on Omnia i8000 successfully.
[via XDA Forum]